This section provides information and key documents related to ASEAN Free Trade Area (AFTA).
The AFTA, which was signed and in effect in 1993, has now been virtually established. Members of this FTA is as follows:
- Lao PDR
ASEAN Member Countries have made significant progress in the lowering of intra-regional tariffs through the Common Effective Preferential Tariff (CEPT) Scheme for AFTA. More than 99 percent of the products in the CEPT Inclusion List (IL) of ASEAN-6, comprising Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand, have been brought down to the 0-5 percent tariff range.
The following is the Agreements and key documents:
In pursuing the goal of establishing a single market and production base with free flow of goods by 2015 for the ASEAN Economic Community, a more integrated and holistic approach would be required This calls for the integration and inclusion of existing and additional measures relevant to the trade in goods initiative under one umbrella To achieve this, the ASEAN Economic Ministers agreed in August 2007 to enhance the Common Effective Preferential Tariff for ASEAN Free Trade Agreement (CEPT-AFTA) into a more comprehensive legal instrument This led to the signing of the ASEAN Trade in Goods Agreement (ATIGA) in February 2009.
The ATIGA entered into force on 17 May 2010 with transition period of 180 days to ensure a smooth transition from the CEPT scheme into the ATIGA After the transition period, no CEPT Form D shall be issued In other words, only ATIGA Form D shall be issued. The following is the annexes of the ASEAN Trade in Goods Agreement:
- Annex 1 (List of Notifiable Measures)
- Annex 2 (Tariff Schedules)
- Annex 3 (Product Specific Rules- HS 2012) and PSRs for Textile– HS 2012
- Annex 4 (ITA Products in AHTN 2012)
- Annex 5 (Principles and Guidelines for Calculating the Regional Value of Content on the ATIGA)
- Annex 6 (Implementing the Guidelines for Partial Cumulation under Article 30(2)on ASEAN Cumulative ROO)
- Annex 7 (CO Form D) and Revised Form D
- Annex 8 (Operational Certification Procedures) (amended to accept e-Form D)
- Annex 9 (List of SPS Measures)
- Annex 10 (Contact points for SPS)
- Annex 11 (List of Superseded Agreements)
2. AFTA Publication